Majuli moi ... I am Majuli...

Hello everyone, Let me take this opportunity to first introduce myself. I am "Majuli". People say, I am the largest river island in India! I lay quietly surrounded by the mighty Brahmaputra and its tributaries. Brahmaputra is the only male river in India and flows through the heart of Axom(Assam)! Having introduced myself, may I take the pleasure to be little proud of the facts I just stated! Sure I do.


People in large numbers do come to visit me. Tourist swamp the region during anytime of the year. Ferries connect me to the land, on the other side of the rivers! Apart from them, I obviously have my own children, the Axomia neo-vaishnavite people and I love them. My children speak Assamese and Mising languages.

History states that I am the cultural capital of Assamese civilization since the 16th century. The great guru Srimanta Sankardev himself founded satras on me!

Having giving you a brief of self, let me quote some of the reasons why you should visit me!


1. The paddy fields - Well I know what you must be thinking. Paddy fields, why should I be travelling to Majuli to see paddy fields. But yes, you should. I am fertile to grow around 100 varieties of rice! Is it a record in itself? And that too without any use of fertilizer or chemicals. People mainly produce Kumal saul, bora saul and bao dhan on me!

2. Weaving industry - though weaving is not as popular as in some other parts of Asom, still hand loom is one major occupation here. Specially the famous Muga silk of Assam is also produced here. My people know the usage of different colors too!

3. Vaishnava Satras founded by Srimanta Sankardeva - Srimanta Sankardev established many satras here. One important "Manikanchan Sanjog" is historic as it was the first satra in Majuli. Apart from this, around sixty five other satras are there in Majuli. Some of which are -

Dakhinpat Satra: Founded by the supporter of Raasleela, Banamalidev. Raas is now one of the State Festival of Assam.

Garamurh Satra: This Satra was founded by Lakshmikantadeva. Many age old Cannons are being preserved and displayed here. Raas is also celebrated here in full gaiety!

Auniati Satra: The very famous Paal Namm forms the basis of this satra founded by Niranjan Pathakdeva. Apsara dances are also enacted here. The satra acts as museum of ancient Assamese artefact's, utensils, jewellery and handicrafts.

Kamalabari Satra: The Kamalabari Satra is one of the most famous satras here. Founded by Bedulapadma Ata, kamalabari satra is a centre of art, cultural, literature and classical studies on the island.

Benegenaati Satra: Muraridev, the grandson of Sankaradeva's stepmother was the founder of the Satra. The royal gold raiment and gold umbrella belonging to the Ahom king Swargadeo Godadhar Singha, are preserved here.

Shamaguri Satra: The satra is famous for the mask making in India.

4. Pottery making - Pottery making is done in every nook and corner. One cannot just unsee the beautiful artifacts created by the talented bunch of people here.


5. Mask making - Mask making is an important activity here. With Raas being a major attraction on me, the masks plays a pivotal role! One can see very beautiful, colorful and some scary masks in display here and there!!


6. Ali-ai-ligang festival - Ali-ai-ligang is the spring festival. Literally 'Ali 'means legumes, 'Ai' means seeds and 'Ligang' means to sow. Obviously it is associated with agriculture, specially with the beginning of the Ahu paddy cultivation. It is celebrated by the Mising or Mishing ethnic community of Assam, India. The festival marks onset of sowing seeds.

7. Paal Naam - Paal naam literally means chanting of God's name while rotating in circles, one after the other. It is also known as 'Thio naam'. The paal naam is a major attraction of Majuli. Hold specifically towards the end of Kati (October -November).

8. Migratory bird watching - So far more than 260 species of birds have been recorded in the island and its surrounding water bodies. Obviously if we take into account the local species, it would raise sharply! Birds fly down from the nothern latitudes like Tibet and Siberia. People have recorded some 90 migrant varieties, some of which just make a stay-over for a night or two. 13 of these 90 are said to be globally 'threatened' species. Birds of the likes Spot billed Pelican Pelecanus philippinus, Slenderbilled Vulture Gyps tenuirostris, White-backed Vulture G. bengalensis, Greater Adjutant-Stork Leptoptilos dudius and Lesser Adjutant-Stork L. javanicus also breed in Majuli.


9. Raas Leela - Majuli is the only place in Asom which celebrates the Raas festival in full grandeur. People inact Radha Krishna and perform plays. Its a four day festival here which attracts world wide tourists.

10. Sunset - Beyond doubts, sunrise and sunsets are views that needs capturing. And what better ways of than getting to get a view of it in Majuli. Breath-taking views of the sun sliding down the horizon from the island is any photographer's dream!

Having stated my importance, can I ask your help in preserving me? To my utter dismay I am erring! Losing myself to the Brahmaputra. Save me before I am totally gone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hindi - the National Language of India?

Axomia - the cultural heart!

The land of rivers - Dhubri